Saturday, 18 May 2013
Ramanathapuram HISTORY
In the early 15th Century the present territories of Ramanathapuram district comprising of taluks Tiruvadanai, Paramakudi, Kamuthi, Mudukulathur, ulaiyur, Ramanathapuram and Rameswaram were included in Pandiyan Kingdom . For a short period, this area was under the Chola Kings when Rajendra Chola brought it under his territory in 1063 AD. In 1520 AD., the Nayaks of Vijayangar took over this area under their control from the Pandiyan dynasty for about two centuries, Marava chieftains-Sethupathis who were Lords under Pandiyan Kings and reigned over this part (17th century). At the beginning of the 18th century, family disputes over succession resulted in the division of Ramanathapuram. With the help of the King of Thanjavur in 1730 A.D. one of the chieftains deposed Sethupathy and became the Raja of Sivaganga. Acting upon the weakness of the Nayak rules, the local chieftains (Palayakarars) became independent. Raja of Sivagangai, Sethupathy of Ramanathapuram were prominent among them. In 173, Chand, a Sahib of Carnatic, captured Ramanathapuram. In 1741, the area came under the control of the Marattas and then under the Nizam in 1744 AD, Nawab’s rule made displeasure in the mind of those chieftains. That made them declare the last Nayak as ruler of Pandiya Mandalam against the Nawab in 1752 AD. By that time, throne of Carnatic had two rivals, Shanda Sahib and Mohamed Ali, and this district was part of Carnatic. The British and French supported Chanda Sahib and Mohamed Ali respectively. It paved the way for series of conflicts in the southern part of the continent.
In 1795, the British deposed Muthuramalinga Sethupathy and took control of the administration of Ramanathapuram. In 1801 Mangaleswari Nachiyar was made the Zamindar of Sivagangai After passing of Queen, the Marudhu Brothers took the charge by paying regular revenue to the East India company. In 1803 the Marudhu Brothers of Sivaganga revolted against the British in collaboration with Kattabomman of Panchalamkurichi. Colonel Agnew captured Marudhu Brothers and hanged them and made Gowri Vallbah Periya Udaya Thevar as Zamindar of Sivaganga. After the fall of Tippu Sultan, British took the control and imprisoned the Nawab. In 1892 the Zamindari system was abolished and a British Collector was appointed for administration.
In 1910, Ramanathapuram was formed by clubbing portions from Madurai and Tirunelveli district. Shri J.F. BRYANT I.C.S was the first collector. And this district was named as Ramanathapuram. During the British period this district was called “Ramnad”. The name continued after independence. Later the district was renamed as Ramanathapuram to be in conformity with the Tamil Name for this region.
As per GO.Ms.No. 347 dated 8.3.1985, Ramanathapuram was trifurcated on 15-3-85 as
1) Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar District which consists of Thiruppattur, Karaikudi, Devakottai, Sivaganga, Manamadurai and Ilaiyankudi Taluks. This district was later renamed as Sivaganga district
2) Kamarajar District which consist of Sriviliputtur, Virudhunagar, Chiruchuli, Aruppukottai, Sattur and Rajapalayam Taluks.This district was later renamed as Virudhunagar district.
3) Ramanathapuram District, which consists of Tiruvadanai, Paramakudi, Kamuthi, Mudukulathur, Ramanathapuram and Rameswaram Taluks
Shri S.GURUMURTHY I.A.S was the district collector during the trifurcation of the Ramanathapuram district.
One village (Emaneswaram) of Ilaiyankudi Taluk in Sivagangai district was transferred to Paramakudi Taluk in Ramanathapuram District as per GO.Ms.No.393/Revenue Department Dated 15.03.1985. Rameswaram sub taluk was upgraded into full-fledged taluk as per GO.Ms.No.3248 dated 23.12.1981.
The Erstwhile Mudukulathur Taluk was bifurcated as Mudukulathur and ulaiyur as per GO.Ms.No. 277/Revenue Department dated 15.3.1995
23 Revenue villages of Tiruvadanai Taluk in Ramanathapuram district were transferred to Devakottai taluk in Sivagangai district as per GO.Ms.No. 698/Revenue Department dated 21.8.1998 with effect from 1.9.1998.
One Revenue village (Valanai) of Tiruvadanai Taluk in Ramanathapuram district was transferred to Sivagangai taluk in Sivagangai District as per the GO.Ms.No.874/Revenue Department dated 29.10.98 with effect from 20.2.99
2) Kamarajar District which consist of Sriviliputtur, Virudhunagar, Chiruchuli, Aruppukottai, Sattur and Rajapalayam Taluks.This district was later renamed as Virudhunagar district.
3) Ramanathapuram District, which consists of Tiruvadanai, Paramakudi, Kamuthi, Mudukulathur, Ramanathapuram and Rameswaram Taluks
Shri S.GURUMURTHY I.A.S was the district collector during the trifurcation of the Ramanathapuram district.
One village (Emaneswaram) of Ilaiyankudi Taluk in Sivagangai district was transferred to Paramakudi Taluk in Ramanathapuram District as per GO.Ms.No.393/Revenue Department Dated 15.03.1985. Rameswaram sub taluk was upgraded into full-fledged taluk as per GO.Ms.No.3248 dated 23.12.1981.
The Erstwhile Mudukulathur Taluk was bifurcated as Mudukulathur and ulaiyur as per GO.Ms.No. 277/Revenue Department dated 15.3.1995
23 Revenue villages of Tiruvadanai Taluk in Ramanathapuram district were transferred to Devakottai taluk in Sivagangai district as per GO.Ms.No. 698/Revenue Department dated 21.8.1998 with effect from 1.9.1998.
One Revenue village (Valanai) of Tiruvadanai Taluk in Ramanathapuram district was transferred to Sivagangai taluk in Sivagangai District as per the GO.Ms.No.874/Revenue Department dated 29.10.98 with effect from 20.2.99
Ramanathapuram tourism
Places of Worship
| |
Temples | Ramanathaswamy Temple – Rameswaram |
Badrakali Amman Temple - Rameswaram | |
Nambu Nayaki Amman Temple – Rameswaram | |
Churches | St. John De Britto Shrine – Oriyur |
St. Joseph’s Church – Verkodu | |
St. Santiago’s Church – Olaikuda | |
St. Antony’s Church – Karaiyur | |
Mosques | Abdul Khabul Dhargah |
RAMESWARAM
The Holy abode of the Hindu God, Shri Ram (addressed so with all respect & humility) is a virtual paradise for the devout. No Hindu’s journey is complete without a pilgrimage to both Varanasi and Rameswaram for the culmination of his quest for salvation and is hallowed by the epic ‘Ramayana’. Folklore mentions about God Ram’s presence in this land, after his 14-year exile.
Local legend has it that Shri Ram was helped back into Rameswaram and into India by his brother Lakshman and Hanuman along with his band of thousands of monkeys, after finally emerging victorious against the demon – Ravana. They helped build a bridge with rocks from the sea and shores to cross the ‘Sethu canal’ and reach India. Lord Rama is also believed to have sanctified this place by worshipping and glorifying Lord Shiva and hence marks the confluence of Shaivism and Vaishnavism and is thus revered by both Shaivites and Vaishnavites alike and thus there is a strong belief that bathing in the 22 ‘Theerthams’ or natural springs is a step forward in enlightenment. Therefore, Rameswaram has rightly been declared as one of the National Pilgrim Centres in the count.
The Ramanathaswamy temple by itself is a delight for every tourist. With its magnificent, imposing structure, long corridors, aesthetically carved pillars, the temple is adorned with a towering 38-metre ‘Gopuram’. The temple itself was built by rulers since the 12th century with Sethupathy Maravar beginning the construction of the grand Ramanathaswamy temple that boasts of the ‘Third Corridor’, completed by his successor, Maravar – the longest one in Asia with a 197-metre span from East to West and a 133-metre span from South to North, the third largest in the world! It is said that Swamy Vivekananda offered prayers at this temple in 1897. Another important fact is that two important Hindu schools of thought – the Kanchi of Kamakodi Peetam and Bannari Amman owe allegiance to the deity at the Ramanathaswamy temple in Rameswaram. This has a tremendous impact on the religious sentiments of both the local people as well as devotees throughout the state of Tamil Nadu.
Ramanathaswamy Temple: The legend says that Hunuman was sent by Lord Rama to bring a
Lingam to worship at an appointed auspicious hour. As Human’s arrival was delayed, Sita moulded a lingam for Rama’s timely worship. It is the main deity being worshiped as Ramanathaswamy. Disappointed Hunuman was later consoled by Rama by installing the Lingam which was brought by him a little north of Ramanatha, and decreed that the Hunuman’s lingam should have precedence over the Ramanatha in all honours.
Villoondi literally translated stands for ‘buried bow’. It is quite well known that Lord Ram always carried a bow. According to legend, at this sacred spot, located around 7 kilometers from the main temple on the way to Pamban, is this puranic place, significant because it was at this place where Lord Ram is said to have quenched the thirst of Sita by dipping the bow into the sea water. Even to this day, tourists throng this place to see where potable water is available within the vicinity of sea water.
A kilometer away from the main sanctum sanctorum is the Badrakali Amman Temple with Devi Durga as its chief deity. It is very popular among Devi Durga’s worshippers hailing mainly from West Bengal & Kolkatta. This temple is en-route the Gandhamathana Parvatham.
Dhanushkodi: The southernmost tip of the island is called Dhanushkodi. It was
completely washed away by a cyclone in 1964. But the Kothandaramasamy Temple here remains intact. It is 18 KMs way from Rameswaram can be reached by road. A popular belief is that, it is where Vibishana a brother of Ravana surrendered before Rama. Dhanushkodi has a fine beach, where Sea surfing is possible.
Kurusadai Island : This Island lies to the west of the Pamban Bridge between the mainland and the island. It is a Marine Biosphere, a paradise for the Marine Biologists and nature lovers. Marine wealth are abound here which attract many a scholars and researchers to this Island . It is about 4 KMs from Mandapam. One should approach fisheries department for permission to visit this island. Off Kurusadai Island one could see plenty of coral-reef, fish. Dolphins and sea-cows (Dugong) are also often witnessed.
Ramanathapuram: An ancient town, and now the head quarters of the district. It was from here the Sethupathis (Chieftains) ruled this territory. Ramalingavilasam Palace with good painting and Tomb of Thayumana swamigal, are the places worth visiting. A Museum is functioning here.
DEVI PATINAM: A coastal village is also known as Navashabashanam.It is believed that Lord
Rama worshipped Navagraha here. The temple near by here, is dedicated to Devi, who is said to have killed the demon Mahishasura at this spot. Hindus perform religious rites for their forefathers here.
Thiruppullani: Also called Dharbasayanam, the Vishnu Temple here, is dedicated to Lord Adi Jaganathaperumal. It is 64 KMs from Rameswaram.
Erwadi: The tomb of Sultan Ibrahim Syed Aulia, who came from Arabia via Cannanore is about 800 years old. Pilgrims from far off countries like Srilanka, Malaysia and Singapore are visiting this tomb. Santhanakoodu Festival is celebrated in February-March attracts thousands of pilgrims.
SATCHI HANUMAN TEMPLE: This is where Hanuman said to have delivered the good news of sita's well being to Rama with an evidance choodamanai(Jewel) of Sita.
FIVE FACED HANUMAN TEMPLE: Hanuman is adorned with senthooram here. The stone said to have used to construct the floating bridge Sethu Bandanam could be seen here.
The Patham Priya Koil is situated in Thiruvetriyur in R.S. Mangalam Block of the district. The temple is spread over a vast area and has a large Tank and pilgrims flock here in hundreds every day for blessings and to pay obeisance.
Around 85 kilometers from Rameswaram is the Veyulugantha Vinayagar Alayam ( Temple ). It is believed that Lord Ram worshipped Lord Vinayagar (Elephant God) in this very temple on his journey to Sri Lanka .
A place of Puranic importance, Sethu karai (meaning the Sethu Coast ) is an important pilgrim centre having religious significance owing to the belief that Lord Ram is said to have constructed a bridge from here over the sea waters to reach Sri Lanka . It is a hallowed place for Hindus as they conduct their religious rites in this place and is situated around 68 kilometers from Rameswaram and is near Erwadi Dharga.
Why this place has such significance is the healing power of the ‘red sand’ and the faith of the devotees. People are said to be cured of incurable diseases after applying the sand on their bodies. Couples are said to be blessed with children on visiting the shrine and praying to the saint. During festivities, pilgrims from Tamil Nadu and Kerala – Hindus, and Muslims jostle with Christians and throng the shrine in thousands in their eagerness to honor a holy man who shed his life blood in Tamil Nadu. Though primarily of religious content, the festivals are also a social gathering – an opportunity for these simple people to bring gaiety and variety in life. The strong faith and enviable ability to combine pleasure and piety on a pilgrimage gives a Chaucerian atmosphere to the Oriyur feast.
Devotees from other dioceses and districts visit the shrine on specific dates. In February they come from Dindigul, while in June, they hail from Karunguli and Nagapattinam. During September more than 25,000 pilgrims visit this shrine and offer prayers and offerings. In October another 25,000 pilgrims arrive from the neighboring Sivagangai district and in December pilgrims from Madurai and Melur visit the shrine. Throughout the year, thousands of pilgrims from Sakthikulangara –the only parish in Kerala dedicated to the St. John De Britto come to seek blessings. This is also a favorite place for foreign tourists. Thus, the tourist potential is tremendous and perennial that can be exploited to the maximum extent possible.
Just opposite the Rameswaram Bus Stand, one can catch a quick glimpse of an assortment of underwater creatures in their near natural habitat in the ‘Sea World Aquarium’ – the only one of its kind in the state, and probably in the country too, filled with such varied marine life forms including exotic species such as Octopus, Snake fish, Parrot fish, Sea lizard, Sea squid, Cow fish, Lion fish, Rabbit fish, Fire fish, Butter fish, Clown fish, Crabs, Lobsters, Prawns, Sea Lotus, Beach Tamet, Star Fishes, Sea Horses and Sharks. This is quite an eye-opener for young tourists & kids and lovers of marine life.
There is a possibility to convert this opportunity into a tourist attraction by providing small mechanized boats from Mandapam for both cruises as well as discovery of the coral reefs in neighbouring islands subject to non-pollution and destabilization of the fragile and precious marine ecosystem of this region.
Annai Indira Gandhi Bridge: The 2.2 km. length bridge connecting the Rameswaram Island and the mainland is the longest bridge in India constructed over a bay. It is also called as Pamban Bridge. Similarly the railway bridge connecting the island is noted for its unique opening to pass the ships through the sea.
Accommodation:
Hotel Tamil Nadu and Youth Hostel Ph. 221277 Fax 221070 Rs.195/- to Rs.500/-
Hotel Tamil Nadu Unit II Ph 221071
Hotel Maharaja Ph.221271
Hotel Venkatesh 221296
Hotel Island Star 221472
Hotel Ramanatha 221217
Hotel Guru 221134
Sandhya Lodge 221329
Hotel Chola 221307
Railway Retiring Rooms Ph.221226 Rs.150/- to 400/-
Arulmigu Sri Ramanathasamy Temple.
Devasthanam Cottages: Rs.40/- to Rs.400/- Ph.No.221223, 221292
Other Accommodation:
Gujarat Bhavan 221301,
Baba Anna Chatram 2211021,
Goswamy Mutt 221108
Bharath Sevashram 221215,
Madhu Cottage
TOURIST INFORMATION:
ULAIYUR AYYANAR KOVIL
ulaiyurbala.blogspot.com
Ramanathapuram DISTRICT Agriculture ULAIYUR
Irrigated Area | In Ha. |
a. Total cropped area
| 183651 |
b. Gross area irrigated | 69123 |
c. Net area irrigated | 66865 |
Source of Irrigation | In Nos. |
a. Major Canals | Nil |
b. Tanks | 1694 |
c. Tube Wells | 280 |
d. Dug Wells | 7865 |
Category of works | In Nos. |
a. Cultivators | 179562 |
b. Agricultural Labourers | 124483 |
IRRIGATION TANK PARTICULARS | |||||||
S.No | Name of the Block | Minor irrigation Tanks | PWD Tanks | Total | |||
Ex-zamin | Panchayat | Vaigai Basin | Gundar Basin | Manimuthar | |||
1 | Ramanathapuram | 5 | 42 | 34 | - | - | 81 |
2 | Thiruppullani | 5 | 52 | 22 | - | - | 79 |
3 | Mandapam | - | - | 1 | - | - | 1 |
4 | Paramakudi | 77 | 12 | 49 | - | - | 138 |
5 | Bogalur | 49 | 5 | 33 | - | - | 87 |
6 | Nainarkoil | 47 | 7 | 45 | - | - | 99 |
7 | Thiruvadanai | 83 | 115 | 62 | - | 27 | 287 |
8 | R.S.Mangalam | 68 | 106 | 77 | - | 251 | |
9 | Kamuthi | 45 | 169 | 0 | 38 | 252 | |
10 | Mudukulathur | 38 | 104 | 12 | 28 | 182 | |
11 | Kadaladi | 20 | 143 | - | 74 | 237 | |
Total | 437 | 755 | 335 | 140 | 27 | 1694 |
DETAILS OF AYACUT AREA UNDER DIFFERENT IRRIGATION SOURCE | |||||
Sl. No. | Block | Irrigation sources | Total | ||
PWD Tanks | Panchayat Union Tanks | Ex zamin Tanks | |||
1 | Ramanathapuram | 5180.8 | 660 | 102.4 | 5943.2 |
2 | Thiruppullani | 2478.4 | 784.8 | 64.8 | 3328 |
3 | Mandapam | 38 | - | - | 38 |
4 | Paramakudi | 5819.6 | 276.4 | 1312.8 | 7408.8 |
5 | Bogalur | 3000.4 | 66.8 | 632 | 3699.2 |
6 | Nainarkoil | 4198 | 133.6 | 914.4 | 5246 |
7 | Thiruvadanai | 5114.8 | 2049.2 | 968.8 | 8132.8 |
8 | R.S.Mangalam | 10060 | 1944 | 1065.2 | 13069 |
9 | Kamuthi | 3676.4 | 2454.4 | 468.8 | 6599.6 |
10 | Mudukulathur | 3740.4 | 1773.2 | 53240 | 6046 |
11 | Kadaladi | 7025.6 | 2352 | 235.6 | 9613.2 |
Total | 50332 | 12494 | 6297 | 69124 |
NORMAL AREA PRODUCTIVITY AND PRODUCTION OF MAJOR CROPS | ||||
Sl. No. | Crop | Normal area in Hectares | Productivity per Hec. in Kgs. | Production in Metric Tones |
1 | Paddy | 128000 | 2552 | 327859 |
2 | Cholam | 2117 | 862 | 1825 |
3 | Cumbu | 889 | 1123 | 998 |
4 | Ragi | 1448 | 1331 | 1927 |
5 | Minor Millets | 404 | 448 | 181 |
6 | Total millets | 4858 | 941 | 4571 |
7 | Pulses | 3362 | 491 | 1651 |
8 | Cotton | 2733 | 2.40(Bales) | 6559 |
9 | Groundnut | 6112 | 88.5 | 5409 |
10 | Sunflower | 145 | 351 | 51 |
11 | Gingelly | 1636 | 404 | 661 |
12 | Chillies | 16292 | 808 | 13164 |
13 | Coriander | 1748 | 254 | 443 |
14 | Coconut | 7942 | 14000 | 1112 lakh nuts |
15 | Sugarcane | 231 | 124 | 28644 |
CONSUMPTION OF CHEMICAL FERTILISERS AND PESTICIDES | |||||
District | Nitrogen | Phosphate | Potash | Pesticides | Liquid |
(Tones) | (Tones) | (Tones) | (Tones) | (Liters) | |
Ramanathapuram | 6850 | 1767 | 2540 | 286 | 4836 |
Distribution of Operational holding of Land
| ||
Size of holding | Percentage (%) | Area in Hec. |
<1 Hec | 76.18% | 240339 |
1-2 Hec | 15.06% | 47513 |
2-4 Hec | 6.43% | 20286 |
4-10 Hec | 2.11% | 6656 |
> 10 Hec | 0.22% | 695 |
Total | 100% | 315489 |
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)